There’s so much wonderful choice out there when it comes to the different types of windows and doors for your home. From sash to bay and sliding to French, the selection for you is vast, but a very much on-trend type of window/door you simply can’t ignore for its sophisticated and stylish contemporary looks is the bi-fold door.
Bi-fold doors are a set of two or more (can be up to 8) glass doors that fold back onto each other in a concertina style. With these popular types of glass doors, you won’t need anything to hold them open as they automatically stay where you’ve opened them, which makes them both practical and functional, as well as really attractive. They come in various material options in aluminium, timber and uPVC with a wide range of colours and finishes, which can either complement your home’s existing style or give you a whole new look.
They’re a typically stylish, contemporary option for your doors and can give you more natural light and a sense of additional space, as they have no unpleasant frames blocking your view to the outside. These sophisticated bi-fold doors are made of clear glass, help to create a modern, clean look to your home, and with their sleek, simple style can enhance any interior or exterior home design.
Bi-Fold Door Benefits
There are a lot of reasons why you should opt for glazed bi-fold doors, which include:
- Energy efficiency –glazed bi-fold doors are great insulators which means that they’ll keep your home warm in the winter and cool in those long hot summer months!
- Indoor/Outdoor Flow – glazed bi-fold doors have large glass panes which offer fantastic views of your garden’s landscape.
- Safety – glazed bi-fold doors are always installed using proper safety glass – shatterproof glazed glass is used.
- Security – if you have incorporated gaskets, aluminium seal and fixed leaves installed with your bi-fold doors, you’ll find your security measures are excellent.
- Space-saving – as they just glide open, you’ll find there’s no need for a door to take up space with having to swing open.
- Natural light–glazed bi-fold doors can also help create a far lighter home.
A significant benefit of glazed bi-fold doors is that they are incredibly energy efficient. Unlike many other door designs, bi-fold doors are specifically designed and manufactured with energy efficiency in mind. This means that their design and double or triple glazing is created to keep the heat in your home for more extended periods, which helps reduce your energy bill and ultimately saves you money. What’s not to love?
Glazed bi-fold doors need to comply with thermal performance regulations, known as a U Value (the lower the value, the better insulated the doors are). These rules are more stringent in extensions and alterations than in new builds, you can get a professional bi-fold door fitter to advise you which ones to opt for. But with large panels of glass, where heat loss is potentially an issue, triple glazing may be a wise choice. If you opt for glazed bi-fold doors, you’ll feel safe, have a feeling of more space and light, and know that your energy bills will be reduced with their efficient thermal performance. So, there’s really no decision that needs to be made when it comes to choosing newly glazed windows – go glazed bi-fold!